Thursday, March 3, 2016

Review: Scarlet

Title: Scarlet
Series: The Lunar Chronicles, Book 2
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publish Date: Feb 5, 2013
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Genre: Young Adult, Sci Fi, Reworked Fairy Tale
Started Reading: February 16, 2016
Finished Reading: February 19, 2016

Book Summary from Goodreads:

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.


My Two Cents:

Goodreads Rating: 4 Stars (I loved it)

I came to this series with high expectations as it was strongly recommended by my friends. I then had to wait rather impatiently for months for it to come available at my library. My expectations were totally met, it's no wonder that this series is popular.

This is a fabulous second outing for Lunar Chronicles. I was warned by other readers that it's the weakest of the series, but having only read the first two books I disagree. I felt that this book held its own when compared to the first book.

I loved the new characters and the way their adventure tied into Cinder's. The changing perspectives was written very well. I enjoyed the fact that I got to see what was happening with different groups of characters over the same period of time but the plot kept moving forward. 

The way that some of the characters motives were unclear and kept you guessing was fun to read. I was tense during a lot of this book just because situations could go very well or very poorly and there was no certainty as to how it was going to go. There was very little that I found predictable with this book.

The romance was built believably, and I am in love with a number of the side characters and how they interact with the mains. I also was very intrigued with the little bits of insight we saw from the villains, I'm definitely looking forward to learning more.

I've spoken of my love of reworked fairy tales before, and this is truly one of the best examples out there. I'm very eager to continue reading this series, apparently so are all the people ahead of me on the hold list at the library.

To sum up: This book was fantastic, the story was gripping, and I adored the new characters and what they added to the overall tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment