Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Jessie Facts: Where do I get my books

So along with reviews, I want to post some info on how I get my books, how I review, what I like to read, where I tend to read, etc. I'm going to call these posts "Jessie Facts" and just have little blurbs about me and my reading.


A good place to start is where I get my books.

I am an avid reader, but I'm also at a stage in my life where I don't have a lot of dispensable income. Mortgages suck! So most of my books come from my local library.

I am horrible at remembering due dates, so I didn't take as much advantage of this prior to last year when I got my Kobo. That was when I discovered that my local library had connected with Overdrive and has a lovely selection of e-books to choose from. I now have it connected to both my Kobo and my iPod so I can download and read books on the go. The two best things about this is that A) it's free, and B) it automatically returns all books so I don't have late fees!

My next main spot for getting books right now is through author promotions on various online stores. Lots of authors will put the first book in a series up for free when they drop their second book, or just to get more reviews, or whatever. I recently found an app/website that makes my life a lot easier when it comes to promotions like this. It's called Bookbub, and it's a site that collects all the promotions it can find that connects with Amazon, iBooks, Google Play, and Kobo, and puts them all in one place so you can pick and choose what you'd like to get. You get to select the type of books you like to read and it will send you an email daily with those types of books listed, or you can just hop on the app or site and scroll through the categories. I love the fact that it has "free books" in their own category as well.

Lastly, I have my home library. My husband is also an avid reader and when we moved in together, our combined library overfilled our apartment. Luckily we moved to a bigger house and now have an area that is specifically the 'library' though we still have smatterings of books in every room of the house. Since we both read and collect different styles of books (he's more into adult fantasy, and I read a lot of YA), there are plenty of books on the shelves that I have to work my way through.

It's nice that there are so many options available right now for people who have limited budgets.


No comments:

Post a Comment